Lulufar

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Oh! Really?

I went to the post office yesterday, and there’s a big lineup (surprise!). I’m standing in the line, trying to concentrate and read my book, but there is this woman in front who steals all my attention. She is mailing 3 parcels; none of them have boxes. She asks the clerk for boxes, and the clerk gives her 3. The boxes are expanded, so they need assembling (and writing down the addresses and taping and so on.). The clerk asks her to do these on the side-table so the other people in the line can be taken care of. But she says that she is comfortable right where she is, and starts (right there) assembling the box, taking out her memo-book, looking down the addresses, writing down the addresses, and double checking the items in the box - one of items was a photo album and I swear she started looking at the photos inside it but for some reason she closed the album after looking at the first page. At this point I can feel her tap-dancing with high-heels on my nerves. My hair is rising, my brain is boiling.

Then she starts asking for the prices:

She: How much for this one?
Clerk: $78
She: Oh! Really?
Clerk: (Pause, Checks the computer) Yes, really, $78 by air.
S: How much by ground?
C: $45
S: Oh! Really?
C: (Pause) You should also fill out and stick these stickers on the boxes.
S: OK. But on all the boxes?
C: Yes.
S: Oh! really?
Me mumbling to her: No, she has so much free time that she wants to joke with you a bit. Oh!really?crazyidiotwoman!


Eventually, though, my imagination defeats my anger. I imagine her in bed with her partner:


S: Ooh!
Partner: Aaah!
S: Ooh!
Partner: Aaah! I’m having an orgasm.
S: Oh! Really?

P: ?!?!?! (Looks at the lower organs) Well I was pretty sure until you asked!

I get back to the real world. It’s my turn in the line, FINALLY. I give the parcel to the clerk.

C: To?
Lulu: Iran.
C: Air or ground?
Lulu: Air please.
C: comes to $210.
Lulu: OH, REALLY?

8 Comments:

  • That was amusing! I should come to your blog off and on, only and only if you keep up the work almsot like this. No! ... there's no condition! I come here occasionally and you write whatever you like. Doesn't matter if anyone likes it or not

    By Blogger The Tough Guy, at 2:10 AM  

  • a tecnical question: why should the partner announce his orgasm coming in that very long formal statement?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 PM  

  • the city i live in is not multicultural, and i received the "oh really" from a neighbor when i told her i'm from iran :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:34 PM  

  • bahal bood!

    By Blogger Persephone, at 4:37 AM  

  • That's why I love New Yorkers. They don't f-ck around, they confront the b-tch right there.

    I would have been on her case from the minute she'd started assembling the stupid boxes.

    My grandmother, used to tell me either you learn the social norm, or the society will shove down your throat.

    You made a huge mistake by not confronting the assclown.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM  

  • nilufar youre scraps are getting better and better so sweet and honest. now it is my habbit to turn on my computer and start my work with reading one of these scraps.keep writing every day my smart and unique freind.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:06 PM  

  • Well, I'd hit it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • lulufar jan! i can imagine the look on your face lolololol. quite liked it. very amusing indeed. Marjan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home